Home : Tzedakah Boxes : Chabad Lubavitch 770 Eastern Parkway Tzedakah Box Replica
Yosef Yitzchak Schneerson arrived in America on March 20, 1940 , after miraculously escaping from Poland . Six months later, the building at 770 Eastern Parkway was purchased.
The Rebbe's living quarters were on the 2cnd floor, and the Shul and Yeshiva on the First. He then helped to bring over his daughter and son in law Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneerson, who arrived in America in 1941.Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneerson had personally suffered much. His father was tortured and eventually killed by the Soviets for his Jewish activities, and his younger brother was killed by the Nazis.But instead of buckling under personal tragedy the Rebbe continued to spread Torah to the Jewish people.His father in law appointed him to supervise the educational outreach of Chabad. His office was located on the first floor of 770, near the shul. In 1951, a year after the passing of his father in law, after much persuasion from his Chassidim, the Rebbe became the leader of Chabad Lubavitch.Although the Rebbe sent many shlichim around the globe to bring Jews close to G-d and each other, 770 was and still is the headquarters of Chabad Lubavitch.
Due to the growth of the community, the building was enlarged in the 1970s. The original synagogue is now only a small study hall used by rabbinical students. A larger shul, a mikveh, and a kollel were built right next door to 770. These are also maintained by Chabad.
6" x 6" x 5"
Click on Picture to Enlarge